Our client is Abu Dhabi based artificial intelligence (AI) and cloud computing company, uniquely positioned in the national ecosystem to develop, and deploy holistic and scalable AI solutions.
Committed to developing a world-class, sustainable healthcare sector in the UAE and wider region. At the forefront in the battle against the pandemic, our client has partnered with Abu Dhabi authorities to develop a massive throughput laboratory in 14 days and spearheaded the world’s first Phase 3 clinical trial of COVID-19 inactivated vaccine. Beyond Covid-19, my client is also developing a program of activities to support the health of future generations – ranging from genomics, imaging and diagnostics to digitization programs, manufacturing, and cutting-edge research.
• To provide clinical analytical services for service users
• To manage day-to-day staffing in area of responsibility to ensure safe service delivery and maintenance of TATs
• To be involved in, and in some cases responsible for, service developments
• To supervise and ensure training and competency assessment of staff in area of responsibility
• To carry out appraisal of staff
• To participate and in some cases be responsible for recruitment of staff
• To be responsible for QC and QA in area of responsibility, ensuring non-conformances are investigated, documented and changes to practice identified where necessary
• To participate in and undertake audit
• To be responsible for writing and maintaining SOPs in area of responsibility
• To report, investigate and monitor errors and incidents as per policies
• To have oversight of reports released from area of responsibility
• To authorise default fail queues for area of responsibility (ie reports not sent to consultant authorisation)
• To monitor KPIs for area of responsibility, ensuring TATs are maintained
• To be responsible for risk and COSHH assessments in area of responsibility
• To attend, and chair where required, departmental meetings
• To deputise for Principal BMS as required
Role specific – Automation Laboratory
• To monitor workflow in area of responsibility, adjusting protocols to ensure smooth throughput of work and in-line with best practice
• To work in conjunction with Team Manager for automated ID and AST providing cover as required
Role specific – Automation Laboratory – Automated ID, AST, reading room
• To be expert in set-up, use and advanced troubleshooting of automated systems for ID and AST (Maldi-Tof)
• To act as key contact and laboratory link for Infection Control
• To work in conjunction with Team Manager for TLA
Role specific – Manual Bacteriology – CL3, Mycology and Waste Management
• To be expert in set-up, use and advanced troubleshooting of liquid TB culture platform (BD MGIT)
• To ensure correct procedures are adhered to with regard to handling of CL3 and Schedule 5 organisms
• To oversee autoclave room, ensuring safe practice is adhered to
• To work in conjunction with Team Manager Environmental sections, providing cover as required
• To act as Health and Safety Lead for the department, ensuring COSHH and risk assessments are performed and maintained. Providing reports to Quality Lead for inclusion in Quarterly Management Report
Role specific – Manual Bacteriology –Environmental sections
• To oversee training and competency assessment of staff loading and unloading of samples
• To work in conjunction with Team Manager for CL3 and Mycology and waste management, providing cover as required
Role specific – NAATs
• To be expert in set-up, use and advanced troubleshooting of automated systems for NAATs.
Role specific – Training Officer
• To be responsible for design of competency assessment documentation in line with ISO
• To act as co-ordinator for on-site CPD activities
• To be responsible for administration of funding applications for external and internal courses
• To develop training programme for all staff grades, keeping accurate and visible records of staff competencies
• To prepare bench rotas in conjunction with Principal BMS and Team Managers to ensure opportunity for individuals to develop and maintain competencies in all areas of the laboratory and in line with service needs
• To monitor compliance with mandatory training targets, providing reports to Quality Lead for inclusion in Quarterly Management Report
• To monitor compliance with appraisal performance targets, providing reports to Quality Lead for inclusion in Quarterly Management Report
• To be responsible for the development and maintenance of electronic training system (eg ‘Moodle’)
• To ensure induction of new staff is timely and appropriate
• To be responsible for co-ordination of work experience and placement students within the department
• To represent Microbiology at training meetings
• To work in conjunction with Team Managers, providing cover as required
Qualifications and Experience:
• State Registration as a Biomedical Scientist in Microbiology or related discipline.
• MSc Biomedical Sciences: specialising in Microbiology and/or experience in an equivalent role.
• Evidence of participation in CPD.
• Level 2 or above management qualification (desirable).
Knowledge and competency
• Advanced working knowledge of Microbiology automated and manual techniques
• Advanced knowledge of antimicrobial resistance mechanisms
• Experience of automated laboratory service supervision and management.
• Knowledge and experience of a wide range of analytical systems, techniques, and quality assurance.
• Excellent trouble shooting and problem-solving skills.
• Knowledge of ISO and UKAS accreditation.
• Understanding of Health and Safety, including COSHH and risk assessments.
• Knowledge of LEAN
• Knowledge of change control and change management
• Good communication skills, both written and oral.
• Knowledge of preparing and presenting reports and business cases.
• Experience of incident reporting, investigation, and monitoring
• Evidence of working as part of a team.
• Ability and experience of supervising and training other staff.