Research IT (HPC) Specialist
Corporate Services Department
This position is responsible for managing the research computing back-end infrastructure systems and
related software stack for administration and operations of the High-Performance Computing (HPC)
Cluster and related computing facilities
Direct Report To: Head of Research IT (HPC) and Teaching IT
Direct Report From:
• Supervise the operations of HPC resources and conduct routine HPC production operations
• Installation, configuration, fine-tuning, and troubleshooting multi-vendor multi-site Linux
• Work with the IT Team on managing the HPC student labs.
• Building and deploying open-source software and software from vendors/ partners.
• Develop and conduct awareness and training workshops on HPC cluster and related
components to students, faculty, and staff, as well as provide regular one-on-one training
sessions on how to use the system and assist in batch scheduling script.
• Maintaining and monitoring the security of the HPC systems and servers.
• Manage the systems’ users as well as provide end-user support on how to use the
resources including assistance in any parallelization, debugging and optimization issues
with their applications
• Keep end-users informed about updates in resource issues, system changes, or any other
• Liaise with research teams to discuss issues and implement service improvements
• Monitor the performance of the various systems used and their maintenance status
Page | 1
• Conduct weekly checks and updates, when necessary, to maximize the up time of the
• Keep track of software licenses and their renewal to ensure continuous availability
• Contact vendors for support issues and ensure their resolution
• Ensure continuous improvement across all services of the IT section.
• Undertake any other related duties as assigned by line manager.
• Implement the plans to ensure seamless operations that facilitate the achievement of the
University’s strategic objectives
• Provide data in timely manner and support in preparing reports to the management and
recommend operational improvements to support in planning, decision making and
Financial & Organizational Management
• Implement corrective action as necessary and in line with the approved governance process
to ensure complete adherence to section budget and highlight any deviation from the plan
in a timely manner.
• Provide budget inputs to formulate section budget and submit for approval and further
• Coordinate the Collaboration with and Engagement of Relevant Internal and External
Stakeholders to Ensure Effective Achievement of Programs and Objectives In-Line with the
section’s Strategic Objectives.
• Institutional Effectiveness and Quality
• Legal Affairs
• Internal Audit
• Marketing and Communication
• Other Departments
• Ensure alignment and integration of IT
strategies with the University’s strategy.
• Ensure coordination with the Legal
Affairs department to review and assess
any IT Services legal related documents.
• Ensure coordination with the Internal
Audit to ensure compliance with audit
standards and correction of any audit
• Ensure coordination with Marketing and
Communication to organize and conduct
awareness sessions internally for the
University’s employees about optimal
utilization of technology for the
enhancement of overall business
• Ensure coordination with other
departments to respond to their
requests and to fulfil section’s
Page | 2
• Regulatory Authority (Abu Dhabi Smart
• IT External vendors
• Training providers
• Ensure adherence and alignment with
AES Authority in all matters that relates
to IT security.
• Ensure provision of IT tools to support
the University in delivering its services.
• Ensure provision of IT capability building
solutions to the University’s employees
Academic Qualification Professional Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer
Engineering, Computational Science, equivalent
4-6 years of relative experience.
mathematical sciences, or related field
Skills and Knowledge
• Partnership & Collaboration
• Customer Focus
• Effective Communication
• Business Orientation
• Problem Solving & Decision Making
• Dedication to Quality & Excellence
Page | 3